Quran is the 4th and last sacred Holy Book of Almighty Allah. Quran is the Book of guidance for whole mankind. It was revealed on our beloved Prophet (SAW) who is the last Prophet of Allah Almighty. Quran is the Divine book towards which Muslims turn when there is any problem because Quran has the solution to every problem and it is guidance for every aspect of life.
Allah Almighty said about Quran: “This is the Book (the Quran), whereof there is no doubt, guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqoon [the pious]” (Quran, 2:2)
Indeed the Book of Allah is not a book like any other, it is the timeless Speech of Allah, not a created thing, and the study guide for life and death and what comes after. Therefore it deserves a more careful study than anyone else’s speech. So, as a Muslim, we should recite Quran daily with better understanding so that we can earn Allah’s blessings in this life and the hereafter.
Rewards of Reciting the Quran
Muslims will earn great rewards for reciting the Quran and implementing it in their daily life routine. We will discuss below some rewards from Quran and Hadiths in this article. In Hadith Prophet (SAW) stated that: “Whoever recites ten Ayahs (verses) in qiyaam will not be recorded as one of the forgetful. Whoever recites a hundred Ayahs (verses) in qiyaam will be recorded as one of the devout, and whoever prays a thousand Ayahs (verses) in qiyaam will be recorded as one of the muqantareen (those who pile up good deeds).” (Abu Dawood)
The rewards of reciting the Quran are many. In another Hadith, our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “Verily the one who recites the Quran beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari). So from this hadith, we can say that a person will get the double reward that is trying hard and doing extra effort to learn and recite Quran for pleasing Allah Almighty. We should try to get hard for reciting Quran in this way Allah will be pleased with us and we will get great rewards in this life and the hereafter.
Benefits and Virtues of Reciting the Quran
Let us look some of the benefits of reciting the Quran on daily basis with understanding so that we can get closer to the majestic words of Almighty Allah. Each benefit acts as enough encouragement to Muslims that they should recite Quran daily with understanding. A Muslim gets to know about the real purpose behind the revelation of Quran it should not like that when a Muslim is in some difficult situation then open the Quran and recite it. This purpose of Quran revelation is mentioned in Quran in the following way: “A Book (the Quran) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may receive admonition.” (Quran, 38:29)
It is clear from above verse that the purpose of Quran is to bring blessings to a person and it brings about the spirit of monitoring in the readers. Therefore, if one does not read Quran on daily bases, he or she is actually missing a chance of getting inspiration to examine all the things Allah has created and all the matters of life. Therefore, in order to gain religious reward, a Muslim needs to recite Quran on regularly every day.
- The Quran will intercede for us on the Day of Judgment: Prophet (SAW) said that: “Read the Quran, for verily it will come on the Day of Standing as an intercessor for its companions.” (Muslim)
- Cleansing of Heart: When a Muslim recites Quran, it affects the heart and purifies it by cleaning it from all the impurities that stick on it. Allah Almighty says in Quran: “O mankind! There hath come to you an admonition from your Lord and a healing for the (diseases) in your hearts and for those who believe a Guidance and Mercy.” (Quran, 10:57)
- Be from the best of the people: If you want to be the ones who are best in the eyes of Allah then teach Quran others and learn it too. In hadith, our beloved Prophet (SAW) said: “The best of you are the ones who learn the Quran and teach it to others”(Bukhari)
- Ten Rewards for each letter recitation from Quran: Hadith related to this is stated in a way that: “Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward. And that reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that “Alif, Laam, Meem” is a letter, rather I am saying that “Alif” is a letter, “laam” is a letter and “meem” is a letter.” (Tirmidhi). So increase the recitation of Quran to get these rewards.
- Knowing about matters related to daily life: The Holy Quran does not just comprise of teachings about the past nations but also encloses life transforming instructions and guidelines from the Gracious Lord. In Holy Quran Allah stated that: “And, We have certainly presented for the people in this Qur’an from every [kind of] example – that they might remember.” (Quran, 39: 27). From this verse, we can say that the Sacred Book Holy Quran consists of such examples which are very crucial for one to remember in order to seek constant guidance. So from Quran, we can get any kind of guidance for our daily life problems and all kind of matters.
- Chance of Communication with Allah Almighty: Quran recitation can be made attractive and in doing so it can initiate a sort of conversation with Allah Almighty. The example of which can be seen in the form of the way Prophet (SAW) read Quran: “And when He (Prophet) recited the verses which referred to the Glory of Allah, He glorified Him, the Great, and when He recited the verses that mention supplication, He supplicated, and when He recited the Verses that mention seeking Refuge of the Rabb He sought (His) refuge” (Muslim).
- You will get the position in Paradise on the basis of Quran memorization in this life: If you want to get higher rank in Paradise then memorize and recite Quran effectively. The Holy Prophet (SAW) stated related to it as: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: Read and elevate (through the levels of the Paradise) and beautify your voice as you used to do when you were in the dunyaa! For verily, your position in the Paradise will be at the last verse you recite!”(Abu Dawood)
- Quran will lead to Paradise: Quran recitation will lead all of them who recited it regularly to paradise. Our beloved Prophet (SAW) stated that: “The Quran is an intercessor, something given permission to intercede, and it is rightfully believed in. Whoever puts it in front of him, it will lead him to Paradise; whoever puts it behind him, it will steer him to the Hellfire.”
- Fulfillment of Religious Duty: The Most Merciful has commanded all the Muslims to reflect on the Quranic Instructions not only to appreciate their significance for it is a Divine Book that leads towards righteousness and morality. It is our religious duty to recite the Quran with understanding.
Daily recitation of Quran brings reward from Allah; it can also bring other benefits in the form of the cleansing of the heart, a chance of communication with Allah and thus becoming a better Muslim every day. The Holy Quran is a highly admired Book of Allah (SWT) that requires proper understanding.